Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday night...4th class


To be a successful school you have to look back and begin earlier on in grades and have successful teachers.
Too many students are bored… I really have a problem hearing this all the time when I know what we are saying is fundamentally and pedagogically WRONG! Why does it have to be this way! It doesn’t… I don’t do it, never have.  I am firm believer that teaching is one of the easiest jobs to do, but one of the hardest jobs to be good at doing. This is because what most teachers are doing is not teaching!

Dr. M shared story about physics teacher with lack of accurate grading on test and how the contentious issue arose with union.

Tonight Gerry and Derrick shared with us their presentation on the articles they read from their absences. They began with a picture of a boy dressed as a "baseball hoodlum" in my perception. I shared although I may have mental judgements, I would not act any differently with the child...after all he is a child and just in dress. Why would I? Would I treat a picture of a preppy boy in his BWM differently...NO!
They shared four theories that contribute to this discoure. Cultural, Educational Equality, Institutional Deficiency, and Heredity Theory. Derrick highlighted several "crutch" explanations for the Discourse of Rejection. They include, Cool Pose, Acting White, Raceless Persona, Cultural Ecological, and Stereotype Threat. Best part of the conversation was Gerry's 2 year old wearing Jordan shoes. as a result the students reject the school and "do their own thing." And of course this lends itself to a Discourse of Achievement! For those that were exposed to successful feelings, such as enrichment programs, motivaiton, resilience, agency, self-awareness, and others.

Peter Senge concept of mental model...remember it is the mental model that is the greatest barrier to change...

No comments:

Post a Comment